Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Starting the Countdown to Kijabe

I started mefloquine again today. The risk of malaria is probably small but one has to start the prophylaxis two weeks before you arrive. This reminded me that I am actually going to be leaving on the 20th for another mission trip abroad. This is a return of sorts to Kijabe Hospital, located about two hours drive from Nairobi and situated on the very wall of the Great Rift Valley.
It is a dramatic and pleasant location, except at nights. I was here in 2002 for a month and quickly learned the meaning of the name, Kijabe, 'Place of the Winds.' The GRV extends about 3700 miles from Syria to Mozambique, composed of valleys, lakes, faults and rills. Here it is a several hundred foot incline from the Kikuyu Highlands around Nairobi to the expanse of the valley which extends to Lake Victoria. It is about 7000ft elevation and cool at night. The winds are due to a cleft in the wall of the valley which funnel cold air into the expanse as soon as the sun sets. Sleep is difficult. I resorted to earplugs the last time. Kijabe is one of the largest mission hospitals in the continent.
It serves as something of a magnet institution for much of the area as well. This translates into less of the 'bread and butter' of tropical medicine (malaria, starvation, parasites, burns, diarrheal disease and injuries) and more exotica. In consequence, teaching is more important and house-staff help spread the load. I will be returning in September. It is after all a long way to go for a weekend and I hope to be able to help effect some improvements and not just be a medical tourist.
Since I was here last, much has happened. There have been an election since I was last in Kenya in 2010 at Tenwek Hospital (see link). The last election was a political and national disaster with deaths and displacements which continue to today. The election earlier this year was at least peaceful. Kenya friends such as Anne Mukwenyi (in back in 2002)
have survived and I thank our Creator for his mercies for our brothers and sisters in Kenya. Anne was head nurse on Paediatrics and is now a nursing instructor, married and has two young children. her husband is also a nurse. In 2010 I had the pleasure of staying with them at Kijabe on my way home from Tenwek. Things are much more stable now and I do not anticipate any significant drama while I am there. Not all my trips for missions (this will be # 14 since 1999) have gone easily for me health-wise and I humbly ask for your prayers for my health and safety. Cheryl will be keeping the home fires burning and I also ask you to keep her in your prayers while we are separated.

1 comment:

  1. Back in time for your daughter's wedding. Have fun. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete