Monday, August 5, 2013

Scenes and Snapshots


It has been a long week and I am glad for the chance to sleep in Saturday. I went to the mduka (shops) after a late breakfast.  A pineapple, large papaya, onions, field peas, avocado, jam, milk, bread and sugar rounded out my shopping list and just about filled my day-pack.  I looked out on the Rift Valley, the dark Ngong Hills, the clouds and distant rain showers making it a very dramatic scene.  It was marred by myriad power lines, however, and I walked to the far side of Kijabe town to see if I could find the “right spot.”  I came to a road and started down it, toward the distant valley. 


Having hiked alone since I was 11, one learns a certain calculus as to when to go on and when to turn around.  Losing altitude is never good but the road was fair, the surroundings placid.  I passed the local airstrip with massive concrete posts and barbed wire to prevent people from running onto the field, I surmised.  This conclusion was somewhat confounded as a mother cow and calf were placidly grazing the runway as I crested a hill. 

I had finally done the last “If I don’t see a road back to Kijabe at the next turn, I go back,” when I met a man with his wife.  I greeted him with an “Habari” and got the expected “ya Nzuri” when the man spun off a long interrogation in Kiswahili and I had to admit I did not know enough to follow more than half what he said.  His response was typical Kenyan “How is it you are a Kenyan now and you don’t speak Kiswahili?” he said with a laugh.  I had to admit I studied hard but was a poor student and he told me to study harder and I would be speaking well within the month.  We three parted smiling foolishly. It was a long climb back to the Kijabe town road, about 500 feet, and I was hot and sweaty despite the cold blustery weather when I arrived back at Heron house.

 

Kijabe is a place of comings and goings.  People are always just arriving for a tour of duty or just preparing to leave.  This has its advantages if you play your cards right.

 

Saturday, I was invited to my second “we-have-to-empty-the-refrigerator-before-we-leave-dinner.”  Dr. Adrianna Shirk and her photographer husband invited me over …and about a dozen others.  This, at least in part, is due to the metric system.  Jack had done the shopping and apparently ordered ‘mince’ (i.e. hamburger) in pounds and was served in kilograms (1kg=2.2lbs).  When he discovered he had more than twice what he needed, he called for back-up…and we were glad to come for a feed.  Since early days of my mission trips I have made it a habit to carry toy balloons with me.  Most everywhere I go, the sight of a colorful balloon dissolves any pediatric reticence. My supply of balloons rapidly vanished among the gaggle of children and the adults started a pool to see how long between the loud pops and one more sheepish child would come asking for a replacement.  I always seemed to guess too long.  The record was 30 seconds.

Adrianna is a resident at AUB and will shortly finish her training.  She shared with me tonight that she and her husband have applied to be full-time missionaries in Kijabe.

 

A few snapshots:

Faith is a three year-old little girl who was found abandoned on the streets of Eldoret about two months ago.  She was taken into a Christian orphanage and named Faith Kutamaini (literally Hope).  She was found to have a heart defect (PDA) and was sent to Kijabe for her repair which happened this Tuesday.  It was a rocky post-op course as Faith’s condition had been neglected for so long that her lungs had been damaged.  She is still on oxygen now but doing much better.  Please pray for Faith’s continued convalescence and her life in an orphanage.

Since I arrived we have had three babies born weighing from less than two lbs to a little less than 3 lbs 3 oz.  These are small even by USA standards.  Since I was last in Kijabe, artificial surfactant has been added to the pharmacopoeia.  Our littlest one had a tube inserted into her windpipe as a part of resuscitating her at birth.  The surfactant was injected down the tube about an hour later and she was extubated and placed on nasal pressure CPAP.  She has done well for three days and fair for the last two.  We placed my first umbilical line in Kenya (a routine in NICU’s in the USA since early 1950’s) here on day two and so far have not had any complications.  Please pray for Lydia’s baby girl.

I was called to Casualty (i.e. Emergency Dept.) on Monday to see a boy sent in with “measles” from an outlying health clinic.  Other than having no signs consistent with measles, the diagnosis was spot on.  The 18 month-old boy’s tongue was obscured  by a dirty-green fetid and friable coating.  The health center had based its diagnosis on a few spots which might happen with measles but had ignored the fact that he had none of the usual signs (cough, runny nose, typical rash).  I brought a working flashlight and encouraged the staff to look before accepting the story they were handed.  He had a history more consistent with another viral infection and was admitted for two days.  His mother has AIDS but he is unaffected.  Please pray for Joshua.

Please note again that funds may be sent to the “Needy Children’s Fund” to help these sick and very precious babies.

 

Please include “Gessner/Kijabe Needy Children Fund” on the memo line

Checks should be mailed to:

Bay Leaf Baptist Church

12200 Bayleaf Church Rd.

Raleigh NC 27614

USA

No comments:

Post a Comment